Change began when the vestry ordered a new organ which required a new chamber to be built where the vesting room had once stood. Accordingly, the organ loft at the west end of the church was removed and the side galleries taken out. At that time an arch opening into the chamber was constructed in an architectural style similar to the great chancel arch. Choir stalls were also put in. The upper windows were made longer and all side windows, upper and lower, were made narrower by the length of a brick on each side. Three aisles replaced the former two. The old organ was installed in Saint John’s Church and later removed to Saint Mark’s Episcopal Church, Johnstown, where it was destroyed in the great flood of 1889.