Race Against Racism
The longest consecutive running race against racism in the USA!
The 2018 Saint James Harriers
Team captain Bruce Nickles (top row, far right) led the mighty Saint James Harriers in this year’s Race Against Racism. Saint James was awarded a certificate of achievement for the largest team from a place of worship.
Did we mention Isabel also took First Place, in a field of 90 other women, with a time of 25:29? That’s a pace/mile of 8:19!
Congratulations Isabel! You rocked it girl!
April 28th – Race Day 2018
Mark your calendars! YWCA Lancaster’s Race Against Racism is Saturday, April 28 at 9 AM, and will be held rain or shine.
Saint James Team
A message from our team captain Bruce Nickles:
Hello Saint James friends; this is your Captain speaking. This year marks the 20th Anniversary of the YWCA Lancaster Race Against Racism—the longest running Race Against Racism in the country. Please consider joining the Saint James Harriers to support this important cause! Come walk or run with over 3,000 others to embrace our vibrant community in all its diversity!
Each year, Saint James participates in the annual Race Against Racism to help support the YWCA’s social justice and advocacy programs. The YWCA is the oldest and largest multi-racial women’s organization in the world. Since its inception in 1855, it has been at the forefront of working for justice, equity and peace through the elimination of racism.
- Click Register today! to begin. (Team pre-registration is through April 22.)
- Enter your personal information.
- On the Team Selection, click Join an Existing Team and search for Saint James Harriers*. Select our team and continue with your registration.
- Bruce Nickles will pick up racing bibs and t-shirts for the team. (You do not need to go to packet pick-up.)
- On race day, pick up your packet in the forum room between 8 – 8:30 AM.
- We will have a team photo and prayer at 8:30 AM.
- During the race, someone will remain in the parish house to guard any valuables.
All registration fees are non-refundable.
• $30 – adult/team registration through April 22, 2018
• $35 – adult registration, April 23 through Race Day, April 28, 2018
• $12 – child registration (14 years or younger). Scholarships are available for children. To learn more, call 717.393.1735 and ask for the Race Against Racism Coordinator.
Registration includes a t-shirt and a reusable Race Against Racism water bottle, while supplies last.
*In the 1830s, English schoolboys developed a game called Hares and Hounds: “Hounds” would chase “hares,” who would leave paper trails through woods and hills for the hounds to follow. A group of Londoners took up the game in 1867 as a way to stay in shape and adopted the name Harriers.