The Rev. Samuel Bowman played a prominent role on the Committee of Supervision of Franklin College when the college was revived in 1840. The success of joining that college with Marshall College was due in large part to his work and that of the Hon. James Buchanan. The former was then elected president of the Board and Bowman became a vice president of the new college.