A transformational program based on the teachings of St. Ignatius
This 35-week program is for those who wish to make a commitment to personal transformation by encountering God and deepening their experience with the divine. It will involve a daily and weekly commitment to spiritual practices with help and support from spiritual director, Pat Latshaw.
The book The Ignatian Adventure by Kevin O’Brien will be used for discussion and to guide the group’s approach to spiritual growth with techniques that have been in use for almost 500 years.
When: Begins September 27 and runs for 35 weeks (May 23, 2023)
Time: 10 AM - 11 AM
Where: In person only at Saint James. Exact location to be determined
Cost: $875 Scholarships are available (Please Click here to email Fr. David if interested)
About Pat Latshaw
Pat served as a principal in the Hempfield School District until her retirement in 2006. She holds a M.Ed from Penn State, an EdD in Educational Leadership from Temple University, and a MA in Holistic Spirituality and Spiritual Direction from Chestnut Hill College.
She has served as a spiritual director since 2003 and as a guest director at the Jesuit Center of Spirituality since 2005. She has a private practice at home where she listens as others share their everyday experiences. Her intent is to guide people to see the Divine in all things and to do everything for the greater honor and glory of God.
She lives in East Hempfield with her husband Ward. They have two adult children who live out of state. She enjoys reading, walking and playing duplicate bridge. She has been a member of Saint James since 2019.
The Urban Well is a registered trademark of Saint James Episcopal Church.
Gifts of spiritual direction
Spiritual direction can have many benefits. These may include enabling you to:
- Identify and trust your own experiences of God.
- Integrate spirituality into your daily life.
- Discern and make difficult choices.
- Share your hopes, struggles and losses in the context of strengthening your faith.
- Develop a sensitivity for justice and empathy for others
- Live the essence of your religious affiliation with integrity
What does a spiritual director do?
A spiritual director is one who sits with and listens to your story and experience with the expressed purpose of discerning, with the help of the Holy Spirit, where God might be moving and speaking in your life. Spiritual direction can be a beneficial process for you if you desire to deepen your awareness of God in your life – in the profound experiences, mundane activities, suffering, transitions, and disillusioned aspects of life and faith. Your spiritual direction session may include some exploration of different spiritual practices that may help you increase your intimacy with God.
Spiritual direction is:
- An ancient practice in Christianity dating back to the Desert Mothers and Fathers.
- A spiritual process in which you are invited to notice, savor, and deepen your ability to listen to God’s direction for your life.
- A personal relationship characterized by a foundation of mutual trust, respect, warmth, genuine care, honesty, and openness
- A contemplative, confidential relationship grounded in God-centered, mutual listening to the unique spiritual unfolding in all aspects of your life.
Spiritual direction is not:
- Theological teaching
About Ignatian Spirituality
Ignatian spirituality is a spirituality for everyday life. It insists that God is present in our world and active in our lives. It is a pathway to deeper prayer, good decisions guided by keen discernment, and an active life of service to others.