Initially, Saint James only had a hand bell for calling the congregation together. In May 1771, a bell from Mildred and Roberts, bell founders of London, was installed after being shipped from England to Philadelphia on the ship, HMS Mary and Elizabeth. This bell was funded by Saint James parishioners and people from other churches. It was recast in 1858 and is still in use today. Click image to enlarge.