1795 - 1795 A Female Academy opens in Lancaster

Contact

Saint James Episcopal Church
119 North Duke Street
Lancaster, PA 17602
717.397.4858 
Office@saintjameslancaster.org

The Rev. David W. Peck, Rector 
The Rev. Richard C. Bauer, Associate Rector

Archive Posts

A Female Academy opens in Lancaster

In keeping with former Saint James rectors’ interest in education, the Rev. Elisha Rigg opened a “female seminary” for young ladies. Subjects of study included arithmetic, English grammar, geography, history, reading, writing and “sketches of the nature and use of several other sciences.” Embroidery and drawing were added in 1796. The Academy also had a house where pupils could board.

Contact

Saint James Episcopal Church
119 North Duke Street
Lancaster, PA 17602
717.397.4858
Office@saintjameslancaster.org

The Rev. David W. Peck, Rector
The Rev. Shayna Watson, Associate Rector
The Rev. Glenn Miller, Priest Associate

Weekend Services

Sunday Mass 8:30 AM
Sunday Mass 10:30 AM

The Rt. Rev. Dr. Audrey Scanlan, Bishop
Episcopal Diocese of Central Pennsylvania



Locate