Under the Rev. Samuel Bowman’s leadership the Church Home was founded as a comfortable home for the sick and poor parishioners on Orange Street. In addition to financial support, church members donated food from their gardens and cupboards. It received a charter in 1857. In 1861 it was renamed Bishop Bowman House following his death. Since its closure in 1916, its invested funds have been used for the care of the elderly, sick and low income people in the community.