The Rev. Jacob Isidor Mombert decided to build a mission chapel in a section of the city viewed as lacking religious services. This plan was inspired by Hannah Benjamin’s mission Sunday school which had lacked a permanent home.
The mission chapel on the corner of Locust Street and Stony Alley was funded by individual subscribers and completed by January 1869. It was thereafter known as Saint James Chapel. In addition to a Sunday evening service, there was a Sunday school and a sewing school.
Click images to enlarge.