In November 1871 a new diocese called the Diocese of Central Pennsylvania (not to be confused with the present diocese) was created which consisted of the counties between the greater Philadelphia area and Pittsburgh. This diocese owed a great deal to the vision and influence of the Rev. Jacob Isidor Mombert. The Right Rev. Dr. M.A. DeWolfe was the first bishop of the new diocese. With the creation of the Diocese of Pittsburgh in 1863, there were now 3 dioceses in the State.