In 1871 the Woman’s Auxiliary was formed by Mary Abbot Emery and recognized by the General Convention of the Episcopal Church as a department of the Board of Missions. This voluntary association of church women recruited missionaries, trained teachers and raised funds through a system of regular giving. Local women’s missionary and outreach organizations were united to support the mission of the Episcopal Church. During the rectorship of the Rev. Cyrus Knight, the sewing guild was renamed the Woman’s Auxiliary.