A free school for German children was opened in Lancaster and funded by the SPG at the suggestion of the Rev. William Smith. He was the first provost of the College of Philadelphia (later University of Pennsylvania), and he believed that such schools following the French and Indian War would prevent German immigrants from being led away from English interests by the French. Samuel Magaw was the headmaster. He later became rector of St. Paul’s Church in Philadelphia and Vice Provost of the University of Pennsylvania (1782-91).