1844 - 1844 – A growing church needs

Contact

Saint James Episcopal Church
119 North Duke Street
Lancaster, PA 17602
717.397.4858 
Office@saintjameslancaster.org

The Rev. David W. Peck, Rector 
The Rev. Richard C. Bauer, Associate Rector

Archive Posts

A growing church needs

The ministry and popularity of the rector, Samuel Bowman, drew more people to Saint James which required more seats. The church was enlarged according to the plan produced by James Damant, the organist. The east end of the church was extended about 15 feet and above the altar was built a large round-topped window. On the wall under this window were the Creed, the Lord’s Prayer and the Ten Commandments in gold letters on dark panels. A marble slab was placed on the altar. The gallery, where people of lower income sat, consisted of 2 ranges of pews and one broad aisle. During construction the congregation worshiped at the Moravian Church.

Contact

Saint James Episcopal Church
119 North Duke Street
Lancaster, PA 17602
717.397.4858
Office@saintjameslancaster.org

The Rev. David W. Peck, Rector
The Rev. Shayna Watson, Associate Rector
The Rev. Glenn Miller, Priest Associate

Weekend Services

Sunday Mass 8:30 AM
Sunday Mass 10:30 AM

The Rt. Rev. Dr. Audrey Scanlan, Bishop
Episcopal Diocese of Central Pennsylvania



Locate