1848 - 1848 – Saint James creates a parochial school

Contact

Saint James Episcopal Church
119 North Duke Street
Lancaster, PA 17602
717.397.4858 
Office@saintjameslancaster.org

The Rev. David W. Peck, Rector 
The Rev. Richard C. Bauer, Associate Rector

Archive Posts

The Rev. Dr. Henry Augustus Coit Courtesy of Ohrstrom Library Digital Archives at St. Paul’s School, Concord, NH.

Saint James creates a parochial school

“The Old School at St. Paul’s School” Courtesy of Ohrstrom Library Digital Archives at St. Paul’s School, Concord, NH.

The Rev. Samuel Bowman established Saint James Parochial School to provide children with an education with religious training. Among its instructors was Henry Augustus Coit who taught classics. Shaped by attendance at Muhlenberg’s Flushing Institute on Long Island, he later became the first rector of St. Paul’s School, Concord, NH.

Following the creation of the daily parochial school, the Commons Schools could no longer use Saint James’ Sunday school house. Click here to read more about education at Saint James.

Contact

Saint James Episcopal Church
119 North Duke Street
Lancaster, PA 17602
717.397.4858
Office@saintjameslancaster.org

The Rev. David W. Peck, Rector
The Rev. Shayna Watson, Associate Rector
The Rev. Glenn Miller, Priest Associate

Weekend Services

Sunday Mass 8:30 AM
Sunday Mass 10:30 AM

The Rt. Rev. Dr. Audrey Scanlan, Bishop
Episcopal Diocese of Central Pennsylvania



Locate